Following Gov. Roselló’s request, Pres. Trump temporarily lifts Jones Act to bolster Puerto Rico relief.
Charles Simmins is doing yeoman’s work updating relief information on the Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Read his September 27 Aid Update for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Sample:
- Puerto Rico: Much of the urban area of Mayagüez is energized by the hydro-gas plant that is located within the municipality.
- The Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA) continues to report near 100% of total customers in Puerto Rico remain without power, with the exception of facilities on generators and some critical facilities.
- Virgin Islands: There is limited electricity distribution on St. Thomas. Portions of five feeders are partially energized.
- Virgin Islands: On St. Croix, efforts continued Monday to energize more sections of downtown Christiansted and Frederiksted town up to the Paul E. Joseph Stadium
- Virgin Islands: Seven Seas water production facility is online and stabilized and potable water service is being provided to a growing number of St. Croix residents.
- FEMA: Six step-up DLA transformers are expected to arrive this week.
- FEMA: Corps of Engineers coordinated transportation of more than 300 FEMA or Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) generators from across the U.S. to meet anticipated requirements in the islands.
Don’t believe the Maria-is-Trump’s-Katrina BS.
Puerto Rico must, in order for any rebuilding to work, embrace full transparency and accountability, and end corruption. That is a bigger task than any rebuilding.
Rick Lee says
Ridiculous spin on MSNBC from Rachel Madcow. Relief effort is total failure and people are dying because of Trump.