Bodies recovered from mass grave near where Venezuelan miners went missing. Circumstances remain unclear but attorney general says 21 people were killed by gang as relatives who claim they witnessed attack say local officials are involved
The number of bodies recovered from a mass grave in south-eastern Venezuelanear where a group of miners went missing has risen to 17.
Police investigating the massacre made the grisly discovery near a wildcat gold claim where the miners disappeared a week ago.
The attorney general, Luisa Ortega, said late on Monday on Twitter that investigators concluded their work in the jungle where the bodies were found wrapped in black plastic bags and dumped in a 5-meter (16ft) hole in the ground.
Earlier accounts mentioned 14 bodies
The massacre took place near Tumeremo, in Bolivar state, with some witnesses cited by local media, relatives and politicians as saying that a gang shot the miners and cut some up with a chain saw on March 4.
. . .
Arrest warrants have been issued for three people, including an Ecuadorean, Ortega said. One woman had been arrested and is due to appear in court in the city of Puerto Ordaz on Tuesday.