At Notes from the Cuban Exile Quarter: Policy paper shows correlation between US engagement and rising repression in Cuba
- Levels of violence and numbers of arbitrary detentions have grown exponentially during the 18 months of secret negotiations between the Castro regime and the Obama administration.
- Human Rights defenders were victims of brutal, life threatening machete attacks in the same month that secret negotiations between the Obama administration and the Castro dictatorship started.
- The December 17, 2014 announcement of normalized relations was surrounded by repression, violence and death.
- There has been an explosion of arbitrary detentions in Cuba, jumping from an average of 550 per month to 742.
- The Castro regime has been implicated in heightening repression against pro-democracy activists in Venezuela, including extrajudicial killings.
Read the full paper here.
Over 563 Political Arrests in June