Chile Blames Terrorists After Bomb Blast Hurts 14 (emphasis added)
A blast ripped through a fast-food restaurant next to a busy subway station in Chile’s capital on Monday, injuring at least 14 people in the most damaging of nearly 30 bombings or attempted bombings in Santiago this year.
While no group claimed responsibility for the blast, many past bombings have been claimed by anarchist groups and Chile’s government said it would invoke the country’s tough anti-terror laws.
The explosion took place during lunchtime at a restaurant in a small, underground shopping mall connected to the Escuela Militar subway station in Santiago’s affluent Las Condes neighborhood.
Regarding the 29 other bombs,
Santiago is one of the safest capitals in Latin America, but Chileans have been shocked by at least 29 bombs that have been found across the city so far this year. Some have not gone off and none of the other bombs before this one caused any injuries.
In some cases anarchist groups have said the bombs were planted to demand freedom for two Chilean anarchists imprisoned in Spain for an explosion in a cathedral in Zaragoza last year.
The leftist anarchists arrested for the Spain explosion, Francisco Javier Solar and Monica Andrea Knight, are alleged members of the “Commando Insurreccional Mateo Morral,”
a man and a woman who were part of a well organized anarchist command ‘extremely dangerous’ and with strong international connections.
However, nobody has claimed responsibility for the Santiago blast so far.
The bomb was detonated during lunchtime at a restaurant in a small, underground shopping mall connected to the Escuela Militar subway station in Santiago’s affluent Las Condes neighborhood.