This looks like something out of one of Ace’s headlines,
Why Michelle Obama Vacationed in Spain: To Be With Grieving Friend, Fly AF2, Visit the Cordoba Mosque, and Hang Out With Royalty.
OK, so I made up the last part.
You can watch part of the grieving process in this video I posted the other day,
Lynn Sweet, however, spins like a top on meth:
Michelle Obama returned to Washington on Sunday from five days on Spain’s Mediterranean coast, taking a mother-daughter trip with Sasha, 9, that stirred controversy. A White House source told me, however, that Mrs. Obama traveled to Spain to help a grieving friend deal with the death of her father.
Later in the article, Sweet (!) explains,
A White House source told me the Mrs. Obama was not able to attend the funeral for Blanchard’s father at the beginning of July.
What Sweet doesn’t remember is that Michelle was vacationing at Camp David at about that time. Of course that must have been part of the grieving process.
Now that Sweet’s cleared that one for us, I can’t wait for Sweet to explain the absence of high administration officials at the Colombian presidential inauguration last Saturday.
Speaking of Ace, he’s got the Top Ten Activities To Honor Friend’s Departed Father At Michelle Obama’s Five-Star Funeral Jam
10. Barbecued shrimp slightly al dente out of respect for the dead
9. When snorkeling, bereavers hold their heads upside-down so brilliantly-colored coral fish appear to be wearing sad face frowns instead of happy face smiles
8. Commemorative Jet-Skiing
7. Morning’s mani-pedi group outing begun by reading of appropriate Psalm, and then reading of a random cartoon from Marmaduke: The Classics, because you can’t start your day off too heavy on the Spanish Riviera
6. Extreme zip-line excursion reminds everyone that life is fleeting
5. Resort’s specialty drink? The “Mortal Coil Monsoon”
4. Waiters and bartenders only tipped 7% to remind them that there are things more important than money
3. Bereavement Para-sailing
2. Booze Cruise’s Martini-and-crossed-swords flag lowered to half mast
And the number one activity to honor the dead at Michelle Obama’s five-star funeral jam…
1. Moment of silence strictly observed after each Bama Slamma shot
Bonus! Number 0.
0. Every day after the spa, Michelle flexes her biceps and announces she’s giving Father Blanchard a “two-gun salute”
Oh, and in case you hear people tell you, “well, Laura Bush went on an African safari”, William Jacobson points out, “Très chic, those aluminum smelters and huts doused in DDT.”