The police are using teargas and beating up demonstrators:
Clouds of gas or smoke filled intersections around Enghelab Street, which links the two main squares where an opposition protest was scheduled to take place. In one square, a crowd of about 4,000 and 5,000 people was attacked by clusters of militia forces on motorcycles and on foot, witnesses said.
This video from yesterday shows a woman being beat up by militia:
Some of the tweeters report today that demonstrators have been shot at, and that the shooters are targeting people’s feet.
John at Powerline asks why is Obama AWOL on Iran? John postulates five reasons:
1) America is or has been evil, so it should do little or nothing in the world
2) Obama is just a cautious guy who avoids risk at all costs.
3) Obama has no idea what to do about Iran, and he knows it.
4) Obama is bold when it comes to domestic policy but considers anything that happens in a foreign country an unwelcome distraction.
5) Obama can’t be in favor of democracy because Bush was for it.
You can answer John’s survey over at Powerline. I’d go with a combination of 3 and 4: cluelessness as to what to do because of are trying to be exclusively a domestic policy president.
This just in, at the Wall Street Journal
Police Clash With Protestors in Iran
Mousavi Repeats Demands for New Election, As Security Forces Use Tear Gas, Water Cannons on Supporters