Dr. Krauthammer writes about John Edwards:
Edwards has made much of his renunciation of his Iraq war vote. But he has not stopped there. His entire campaign has been an orgy of regret and renunciation:
* As senator, he voted in 2001 for a bankruptcy bill that he now denounces.
* As senator, he voted for storing nuclear waste in Nevada’s Yucca Mountain. Twice. He is now fiercely opposed.
* As senator, he voted for the Bush-Kennedy No Child Left Behind education reform. He now campaigns against it, promising to have it “radically overhauled.”
* As senator, he voted for the Patriot Act, calling it “a good bill . . . and I am pleased to support it.” He now attacks it.
* As senator, he voted to give China normalized trade relations. Need I say? He now campaigns against liberalized trade with China as a sellout of the middle class to the great multinational agents of greed, etc.
And then Krauthammer delivers this scathing conclusion recalling this Biblical line used in A Man for All Seasons when Thomas More asks the man who just perjured himself in order to get a job in Wales.
It profits a man nothing to sell his soul for the whole world. But for 4 percent of the Nevada caucuses?
Ouch. The name of the perjurer whose testimony helped send More to the block? Richard Rich. Now, every time I see John Edwards I’ll picture Paul Scofield asking Richard Rich
Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world… but for Wales?
John Edwards – the 21st Century Richard Rich.
The way I see it, Richard had a maturity that Edwards lacks; Edwards is more of a Richie Rich type – a cardboard cartoon of a character.
Matt Sanchez has his own podcast. He’s got a lot to say on Hillary and the “Hispanic” vote.
Matt was my podcast guest last October.
Today at 11AM Eastern Happy Catholic joins Siggy and me to talk about food.
Happy Catholic has posted the first photograph of Siggy ever to hit the internet, and you can find it at her post here.