What the real scandal is, in the Plame/Wilson/and other bruhahas
Betsy describes the situation:
This Rove/Plame/Wilson scandalette is following the familiar pattern of every such brouhaha we’ve had in the Bush administration from Halliburton to Abu Ghraib to Tom DeLay to Gitmo.
These are the twelve stages that we have come to recognize and expect.
1. Something comes out in the press that looks terribly damaging.
2. The media goes into overdrive hyping the story and focusing on it monomaniacally.
3. The lefty bloggers start drooling in glee.
4. Democratic politicians make somber, seemingly heartsick speeches denouncing the administration in increasingly vituperative language.
5. Then, after a day or so, the right side of the fence kicks into gear. The RNC starts issuing press releases to show how things are being taking out of proportion.
6. Righty bloggers start looking at the actual evidence, going back through old news stories to remind people of the historical facts. Long-forgotten little reports in the media are resurrected to exonerate the Bush people.
7. Conservatives get just as angry as those on the left.
8. The media barely reports any of the debunking of the original story. They continue with whatever storyline they established in the first days of the kerfuffle.
9. Fox News interviews someone like Byron York to show how misleading the original storyline was. Maybe there is a story in the Wall Street Journal or the New York Post, but barely anything in the Washington Post, New York Times, network news et al.
10. Conservatives get angrier and more cynical about the MSM.
11. Liberals get more gleeful, but also more frustrated.
12. The liberals are frustrated because polls come out showing that few people care about the story that has so excited both sides. The story eventually dies down with both sides convinced that dirt was done somehow somewhere. They just don’t agree who did what that was dirty.
Lather (Lefty and media outrage), rinse (righty debunking), and repeat (whatever the next supposed scandal is lurking out there)
In short, drama-queen tactics.
Item: Roger L. Simon, in his post The Psychopathology of Everyday Life – Gaza Style links to an article, Are you ready? Tomorrow you will be in Paradise . . . in the London Times written by Muslim reporter Nasra Hassan, that describes the Isalmist cult of death:
I met an imam affiliated with Hamas, a youthful, bearded graduate of the prestigious al Azhar University in Cairo. He explained that the first drop of blood shed by a martyr during jihad washes away his sins instantaneously. On the Day of Judgment, he will face no reckoning. On the Day of Resurrection, he can intercede for 70 of his nearest and dearest to enter Heaven; and he will have at his disposal 72 houris, the beautiful virgins of Paradise. The imam took pains to explain that the promised bliss is not sensual.
. . .
The operation doesn’t end with the explosion and the many deaths. Hamas and Islamic Jihad distribute copies of the martyr’s audiocassette or video to the media and to local organisations as a record of their success and encouragement to other young men. His act becomes the subject of sermons in mosques, and provides material for leaflets, posters, videos, demonstrations, and extensive coverage in the media. Graffiti on walls in the martyr’s neighbourhood praise his heroism. Aspiring martyrs perform mock re-enactments of the operation, using models of exploding cars and buses. The sponsoring organisation distributes cassettes of chants and songs honouring the good soldier.
The bomber’s family and the sponsoring organisation celebrate his martyrdom with festivities, as if it were a wedding. Hundreds of guests congregate at the house to offer congratulations. The hosts serve the juices and sweets that the young man specified in his will. Often, the mother will ululate in joy over the honour that Allah has bestowed upon her family.
Item: (via Hans Bricks) The new Iranian president is a terrorist and an executioner, who will head a fascist country that sooner or later (if it hasn’t already) will have nuclear power. The Islamofascist state of Iran will use the nuclear power for peaceful purposes.
Item: Islamofascists believe that peace is only acomplished when there’s total submission to Islam. I believe the Iranians will use nuclear power for the implementation of that peaceful purpose. Would An Iranian Bomb Split Radical Islam? We shall find out.
Item: At the same time, Latin America is being bought off by an oil-rich Communist semi-dictator who’s playing footsie with Iran for the purposes of installing his Bolivarian revolution in South America, while setting up death squads in his own country.
There is ONE, and I repeat, ONE pressing issue of our times: we are at war. Not a “little” war in a far-away place, but an assault on all civilisation The Democrats simply don’t have a clue as to what to do about that.
And that’s the real scandal.