Puerto Rico: Festival success
As reported earlier, the barriers and fences were torn down in Old San Juan; later on a judge issued an injunction blocking checkpoint searches.
My sister attended the festival yesterday, and reported that this year’s festival is a success:
- She attended Saturday, while the festival had started on Thursday
- Old San Juan was spotless, all the streets were blocked to vehicles, and five cruise ships were docked.
In addition, there were
- Hundreds of craftspeople and food vendors
- Three large bandstands with dance areas
- Many comparsas parading with music
- Heavy police presence
- Sanitary facilities sponsored by Clorox, in addition to the usual chemical toilets
The huge crowd filled the streets, and were polite and friendly.
While the shuttle service from the Miramar Convention Center parking lot never materialized, enterprising (privately-owned) jitneys took people to and from Old San Juan.
The only altercation reported was a minor scuffle that was broken up by a policeman.
In all, a huge success.